Don't wait — call us today.
Your consultation awaits.

PLEASE NOTE: Schmitz Law remains open and available, and in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Schmitz Law, P.C.

Client-Centered Service.
Results-Oriented Solutions.

Our Practice Areas

Sharing custody: 2 common questions

As a parent, it's your worst nightmare if your ex keeps your child away from you. One of the major concerns you always had was who would have custody and when. Custody arrangements are sometimes complicated, but when a parent takes it upon him or herself to withhold your child from you, that's a real problem that the courts need to deal with.

Here are a couple questions you may have about custody and visitation. Your attorney can help you if you have others that aren't covered here.

-- What can I do if my ex doesn't pick up our child at an arranged time?

The first thing you should do is remember that sometimes things do get in the way of visitation times. If this is a one-off event or happens rarely, it's probably nothing to take to court. However, if you notice your child's other parent never shows up, then you should talk to your attorney about potentially changing your custody arrangements. Keep documentation of each time the other parent does not show up.

-- Can I do anything if my ex won't help with our children's events, planning, laundry or other day-to-day tasks?

It can be difficult to force anyone to do laundry or to take the kids to extracurricular activities. The first thing to do would be to talk to your ex about the importance of these tasks. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you could consider mediation sessions. Finally, if he or she fights you over your requests and won't go through mediation, it may be time to consider a day in court.

These are just a couple questions you may have about visitation and custody. Your attorney can help with a number of issues ranging from visitation scheduling to child support.

Source: FindLaw, "Custody or Visitation Interference," accessed March 10, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Location:

301 N. Main Street
Suite 1070
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336-893-0332
Fax: 336-714-2381
Winston-Salem Law Office Map

Firm Number: