Don't wait — call us today.
Your consultation awaits.

PLEASE NOTE: Schmitz Law remains open and available, and in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Schmitz Law, P.C.

Client-Centered Service.
Results-Oriented Solutions.

Our Practice Areas

Parental kidnapping can be prevented and responded to by parents

Parental kidnapping is something some parents worry about extensively following a divorce. If your ex has threatened kidnapping or refuses to return your children following a visit, then you may be a victim of parental kidnapping.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigated 653 cases of parental abductions domestically between 2000 and 2007, according to a 2009 data set. That report showed that most of the children were returned home, which is good news for those worried about their own children going missing. The bad news is that not all children make it back to the custodial parent. Even if they're safe with the noncustodial parent, the abduction is a violation of the court order.

If you are worried about this happening in your situation, there are a few tips you can follow to keep your kids safe. First, always pay attention to what they say before, during and after visits with the other parent. If you get a call during the visit that sounds unusual, don't hesitate to respond to your child. He or she may be trying to tell you that something's wrong. If you can't talk to your ex and locate your child for confirmation of his or her whereabouts, then call the police. This starts a paper trail you'll need in court. After that, call the court and let the court know the parent is in violation of the custody order. The police may not take steps to retrieve your child immediately until they receive the authority to do so from the local courts.

Your attorney can help you file the correct documents if you find your child has gone missing or that your ex has violated the custody orders that are in place. The courts want to see both parents do what's in the best interest of their children, and violating orders is not.

Source: The Spruce, "How to Respond to – & Prevent – Parental Kidnapping," Jennifer Wolf, accessed July 11, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Location:

301 N. Main Street
Suite 1070
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336-893-0332
Fax: 336-714-2381
Winston-Salem Law Office Map

Firm Number: