Don't wait — call us today.
Your consultation awaits.

PLEASE NOTE: Schmitz Law remains open and available, and in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Schmitz Law, P.C.

Client-Centered Service.
Results-Oriented Solutions.

Our Practice Areas

Yes, you can file for divorce from a military spouse overseas

You decided that you wanted to get a divorce from your military spouse long ago, but your spouse has been deployed for some time. You're not sure how to serve the paperwork to your spouse or about where you should file to begin with.

Fortunately, there are some simple answers to your questions. For more complicated situations, your attorney can help you by working through military channels to serve your spouse.

How do you serve someone who is on a military base?

Military officials actually do now serve process on bases. Some may allow for a summons or petition for divorce to be accepted willingly by your spouse. This could lead to delays, so when you send the summons or petition to the base, make sure to mention the possible effects that delays could have on the cost of the divorce.

What can you do if your spouse is out of the country when the hearing is scheduled?

If your military spouse has leave, it's a good idea to find out how much he or she has. Your attorney can file a request for a Leave and Earnings Statement to find out how much time your spouse has to leave the base. A peremptory setting can also be used for service members who need to have a case heard promptly to avoid unnecessary delays.

Can you still file for a divorce even though your spouse isn't domiciled in the United States?

Yes, as long as one of you has residency within the United States, you can file for divorce in that location. Your attorney will help by reviewing the laws in each location to determine where a divorce should be filed for the most benefits to you. If you're ready to file, our website has more information on what to do next.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Location:

301 N. Main Street
Suite 1070
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336-893-0332
Fax: 336-714-2381
Winston-Salem Law Office Map

Firm Number: